top of page

National Credentialing Bodies:

- International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC)

- NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals

Credentialing is an important step before anyone begins working in the helping field.  Many professional bodies exist that provide detailed information on standards and requirements needed to work with a certain population.  In the alcohol and other drug (AOD) field, there are various certification and/or licensure programs that exist to help individuals become credentialed.  In some states, credentialing is voluntary.  In others, it is required before someone can begin working with the AOD population. 

Here at we primarily work with individuals who are working to maintain a credential.. However, some states are now allowing distance learning for basic education hours needed for initial certification or licensure. is working to create a basic training track that will assist counselors-in-training in obtaining their required hours.  There also exist many outstanding local training programs that can assist you in gathering these required hours.  

Regardless of where you obtain your hours, it is out belief that credentialing is important in letting others know that you have taken a comprehensive set of educational and experiential trainings that allow you to work with the AOD population.  To that end, we have created a link to a database of state, national, and some international bodies that offer various credentialing services.  This database will help you find out more information about various certification or licensure requirements.  It will allow you to make the first important step in contacting the appropriate board that can assist you in beginning the credentialing process.  Typically, most boards in the United States use standards developed by the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC) or NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals.  The local board grants the initial credential, and then a national credential is available from either of these bodies (IC&RC or NAADAC).  The national credential will probably require you to take more training, gather more experience, or to obtain a degree.  Your local board should be able to help you identify what steps are needed for this next level of credentialing.  However, to assist you, the following links will take you to IC&RC or NAADAC's websites: ​ is approved by the IC&RC and NAADAC as a provider of educational services.  If you'd like more information, or to obtain the necessary forms for apply these credentials, please use the following links:
bottom of page